A few weeks ago I saw two articles citing two different polls, both published on August 28th. I’ll provide the links, but here is a quick summary:
- 43% of those surveyed said they are not earning what they are worth.
- 40 percent of American families struggled to meet at least one of their basic needs last year, including paying for food, health care, housing or utilities
- The average unemployment rate for 2017 was 4.4 percent, a low that followed years of decline. But having a job doesn’t ensure families will be able to meet their basic needs, said Michael Karpman, one of the study’s authors. Among the households with at least one working adult, more than 30 percent reported hardship.
- 23%+ percent of households struggled to feed their family at some point during the year.
- 13% percent of families missed a utility bill payment at some point during the year.
- 10 percent of families either didn’t pay the full amount of their rent or mortgage, or they paid it late.
My encouragement goes back to the quote.
Dig deep to understand what you are placed on this earth to do. Find your passion and your purpose…and minimally, pursue it as a hobby, which provides you with enjoyment, stress relief, and fulfillment. However, guess what? You may find that it produces income over time and multiple streams of income have never hurt anyone and given what we just learned in the survey, it is needed for many.
But wait, there is more… :). That secondary stream could become so powerful that it becomes your primary source of income.
Have a great day.
Be informed. Be Empowered. Be Accountable.
Poll: Four in 10 U.S. workers say they are underpaid: https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2018/08/28/Poll-Four-in-10-US-workers-say-they-are-underpaid/7111535471625
Despite a strong economy, many Americans struggling to get by: https://www.apnews.com/1d31cf4b56e449769ab4cb456237ea1f