Episode 16: Understanding Today’s Social Justice Issues and Recognizing Business Opportunities with Mike Melia
I am pleased to have Mike Melia as my guest on this episode. Mike has a wealth of entrepreneurial experience. He’s built 3 multi-million-dollar businesses and he shares how he was able to continue to recognize new opportunities and business models.
Mike was a pioneer in the natural food movement in the late ’70s. In the ’80s he was involved in the transformational personal development seminar industry. In the late 90’s he joined LegalShield. He is part of their prestigious Millionaire Club and sits on their Platinum Council.
Mike shares his views on social justice and our responsibilities as citizens. He also shares his insights about his entrepreneurial journey and what he sees for the future of business owners.
- Why he got involved in LegalShield and how he sees the impact of the company today regarding social justice issues. [1:48]
- Mike’s insight about the big issues that face all of us today. [6:15]
- Mike stays open to learning about different points of view and explains his strategy for understanding bias in all forms of media. [10:33]
- How to see others once you understand unconscious bias. [13:21]
- Why investing in yourself is a life-long effort and how Mike decided not to settle but remain open to new perspectives. [15:40]
- Best 3 books. [17:29]
- Advice to the 20-year old Mike. [21:42]
- Mike’s entrepreneur journey and the only time he received a W2! [26:00]
- What’s the most important question you can ask yourself? [29:21]
- Advice for starting a business today. [32:00]
- The greatest business opportunities today. [35:36]
Here are links to a few of the books Mike mentioned.
Please share your questions and comments!